My daily journey to new dinner ideas.

I will blog here with my ideas and recipes for dinner on a daily basis. I will try to keep it new and interesting. This is my means of trying make my dinners ever-changing while trying to incorporate a healthy twist.

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich with Perogies

   Tonight I was unsure of the state of the house as my mother-in-law acted out yesterday, so I wanted to continue with the simple meals.  So I decided to make one of my favorites, a philly cheessteak sandwich and perogies.  I went to the store and bought fresh shaved beef, onions, green peppers, potato-onion perogies, provolone cheese, and sauce.  I diced some of the onion and all of the green pepper to go into the sandwich.   Then I slice the rest of the onion thin to go into the frying pan with the perogies.
   I placed the diced onion and pepper onto my electric griddle to heat them and give them some color.  Once they begin to get color I remove them and set aside.  At the same time I have butter and olive oil heating in the frying pan.  I first throw in the sliced onions, for about thirty seconds then add the perogies.  I stir and flip the perogies regularly to heat them evenly.  Next I throw down some of the shaved beef and add the diced mixture to it spacing it all out evenly.  I don't need to have hot and cold spots on the griddle so this is important.  I keep stirring and flipping the meat until it is fully cooked through but not browned.
   While making sure not to forget the perogies, I get the meat cooked and add a few tablespoons of sauce.  You can use all kinds of sauce depending on your mood.  My wife and mother-in-law like chili sauce.  Flip and stir the meat mixture until the meat is browned then add provolone cheese broken in half on each portion.  I seperate the meat while stirring it around into three even piles.  I make the piles long and narrow and split the cheese to cover each pile completely.  If you have a lid that will cover each pile, now is the time to use it along with a few drops of water.  The water will steam up and melt the cheese but keep it from burning to the griddle right away.  When the cheese has melted down into the mixture scoop it off and fill the roll.  Place three perogies with one sandwich on each plate.  I hope that enjoy this one as much as we did.  See you tomorrow with another meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment