My daily journey to new dinner ideas.

I will blog here with my ideas and recipes for dinner on a daily basis. I will try to keep it new and interesting. This is my means of trying make my dinners ever-changing while trying to incorporate a healthy twist.

Friday, March 25, 2011

Szechuan Beef Stir Fry with Brown Rice

   Today I had a different kind of influence as to what to make for dinner.  My mother-in-law is on meds that she doesn't believe she needs.  Therefore from time to time she acts out.  Today was one of those days, so I needed to make a meal that would take little prep and little time to make.  This influence lead me to Asian food, something simple that I know how to prepare.  I went to the store and looked around and decided to make a beef stir fry and rice.  So I picked out some stir fry cut meat, and some frozen veggies.  At my grocery store they sell 2 different Asian style frozen veggie mixes.

   I bought one that had onions, peppers, carrots, snap peas, and baby corn.  I then went to the international food aisle and picked up sliced water chestnuts, chow mien noodles, and then looked at the various sauces they had.  I decided to go with a Szechuan sauce.  I then came home sprayed the frying pan, as I don't have a wok, and began cooking the meat.  I then drained the meat and added the sauce.  When the sauce began to simmer I added the veggies.  Now of course while I am doing this, I have the brown rice cooking.  Once the veggies were nearly heated through I added the sliced water chestnuts.  When everything was up to temperature I put rice on my plate and spread it out, then I added the chow mien noodles and spooned the stir fry over it.  This was a simple dinner, very delicious.  Even my mother-in-law agreed.  The whole process took about 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment